A historical break on the Hérault-Tarn border
:: PR le chemin des légendes (mille marches)
:: The loop of the Lake of Vesoles
:: Itinerancy : GR de Pays et GR 77
:: Le Réseau Vert
:: La Voie Verte Passa Païs
A little bit of history
In 940, the archbishop of Narbonne ceded the churches of Saint-Pierre-de-Riols and Notre-Dame-de-Tredos to the abbot of Saint-Pons.
The whole territory of Riols finally formed a seigneury belonging to the abbey of Saint-Pons.
In 1318, when the diocese of Saint-Pons was formed, the abbot became bishop and the monks formed the chapter of the cathedral.
The income of the abbey was then separated: in Riols, the chapter kept the seigneurial rights over the lands of the Garrigues, including the mazades of Bégot, Condades, Aupigno, Roulio, Marso and Cassillac, while the bishop kept the rest of the seigneury.
During the Revolution, the rare goods of the clergy and emigrants were sold.
In the 19th century, Riols, with more than 2000 inhabitants, became a small industrial centre, with more than a dozen sheet factories and woollen mills.
City hall information
Tuesdays and Thursdays: from 8am to 12.30pm
Fridays: from 2.30pm to 5pm